Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Strawberry Ice Cream, Fig Newtons, Stranger Things & Chicken Lasagna

Hola!

I think I may have said this already, but I hope everyone is staying warm!!  It's been so wonderfully cold!!  Our family has really enjoyed the last week, so I thought I'd share some of our favorite moments with you.

We celebrated National Strawberry Ice Cream Day on January 15.  Why my daughters are wearing shorts in January in IOWA, of all places, is anyone's guess.



National Fig Newton Day on January 16.  I obviously went all out for this one.



We may have also celebrated with some Netflix.



And then on January 19, we celebrated National Popcorn Day with a family movie night...which turned into a family Nintendo 64 night.  Yes, the original Nintendo 64.  Dan takes really, really good care of his things.


I also made this Chicken Lasagna that is absolutely TO DIE FOR.  Oh my goodness, it was so so so good.  I think you all need to make it, so here is the recipe:

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 c. chopped green pepper
1/2 c. diced onion
3 T. butter
1 can cream of chicken soup 
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. dried basil
1 can mushrooms (4 or 6 oz. can is fine)
2 c. shredded American cheese
1 1/2 c. cottage cheese
8 oz. no-boil lasagna noodles
1-2 c. grated Parmesan cheese (not the kind in the green can!)


Cook chicken, shred, and set aside.  Cook the onions and green peppers in the butter until the onions are lightly brown and mostly translucent.  Add in the soup, milk, basil, mushrooms, and shredded chicken to make the sauce.  In a separate bowl, combine the American cheese and cottage cheese.  Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan.  Spread 1/3 of the sauce in the bottom of the pan.  Place a layer of lasagna noodles on top.  Then layer half of the cottage cheese mixture, followed by another 1/3 of the sauce, a layer of noodles, and the other half of the cottage cheese mixture.  Top with the last 1/3 of the sauce mixture.  Sprinkle Parm on top, if desired.  Cheese is one of my absolute favorite things, so ours had lots.  But to each his or her own, so put as much Parmesan cheese as you'd like. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.  

I think I served ours with a tossed salad and crusty garlic bread.  If I didn't, I should have.  Anyway, it was so so yum.

Go make some!  And stay warm!





No comments:

Post a Comment