Saturday, October 6, 2018

Goal Update

At the beginning of the year, I posted my ten goals for this year.  I had planned to do a mid-year update in June, but then....I got incredibly busy and haven't blogged since May.  Whoopsie.  However, as we near the end of the year (can you believe it has gone by so quickly?!), I thought I would take some time to assess (and share!) my progress on my goals for this year.

Spoiler alert: I still have work to do.

1) Start this new blog - COMPLETE,

Well, I did start it.  However, I have struggled with what direction I wanted to take it.  No one (except Mom - thank you, Mom!) is really that interested in our trip to Pennsylvania or our day playing mini-golf.  However, people may be interested in travel tips when planning a trip to the Poconos (which I didn't include) or ideas for local fun things to do/good places to eat.  People may be interested in many of the everyday things we do around here: cooking from scratch, fun home decor projects/crafts, big family life (and organization!) and holiday celebration ideas.  I have some other really neat ideas for the blog, as well as a few other social media ideas that I am looking into with the help of family and friends.  I plan on spending some time next year learning more about how to expand on some of these ideas.



2) Abs - in progress.

I have done A LOT of cardio this year, but just like last year, not as much toning/strength training as I would like.  What have I done a lot of?  Eating good food.  Let's just say it's a very good thing for my waistline that I ran a marathon this year.

3) Hit my goal weight - in progress.

In order to determine if I have met this goal, I would need to actually step on a scale, which I haven't done in months.  My clothes fit nicely.  I still wear the same size I wore in high school (and junior high because I haven't grown since then....).  So, I'll be okay.  Still, it would be nice to see that number, so I am still working toward this one.

4) Run a marathon, preferably in a foreign country - COMPLETE

We ran a marathon in Montreal two weeks ago.  A better way to describe this is that we had a wonderful vacation in Montreal, during which we took one morning to run a marathon.  😉











5)  Be a better listener - COMPLETE

I struggled with marking this one complete because I could still be a better listener.  However, I am a better listener than when I started this goal, although I still plan on continuing to work on this.  One of the things that helped me?  A memory of my dad and his "talking stick."  Give it a try and you might find that it helps you, too!

6) Read 56 books this year - in progress

I don't know what I was thinking making a book list with 56 books, taking the bar exam, training for a marathon, and starting a book club (in which everyone gets a turn choosing books, not just Star making everyone read the books on her list).  To date, I have read 27 books (maybe 26?).  Not even half.  This goal will not be completed this year unless I take rest of the year to do nothing but read...  Whoops.

7) Learn 12 new things - in progress.

This has been wonderful.  One of the absolute best goals I have ever set.  It has helped me step out of my comfort zone, try things I never would have ever had the confidence to try (especially in public!) even just a couple years ago, and most importantly, helped me strengthen my friendships.  A few of the most fun:



A post shared by Starlight Kinney Fonseca (@sincerelystarlight) on

A post shared by Starlight Kinney Fonseca (@sincerelystarlight) on

Yes, you really should be following me on Insta.  💓💓

8) Take the Iowa bar exam - COMPLETE.

9) No cussing - in progress.

For the love of Pete.  I really thought I could do this one.  I thought I was fairly classy.  I then realized that one does not give up cussing and take the bar exam in the same year.  I am now wondering if my goal for next year should be to cuss more.

I will keep working on it....ugh.

10) Journal every night before bed - FAIL.  😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

There were so many nights this year where I made sure all children were accounted for, made sure all my dishes were done, and fell in to bed half-asleep.  Journal every night before bed.....I can't even stop laughing at last year me right now thinking this was happening.  That being said, I still want to do this.  We have such a beautiful life that I really need to do a better job of recording it, especially with how fast the kids are growing.  I'll try to do better.

So, that's where I am on goals for the year.  I am really excited about some of the goals I am considering for next year and will post those in December.

I also would really really like to hear from you regarding what you would like to see on the blog.  Recipes?  Travel tips?  How-to videos?  Organization ideas?  Fun local food and drink places?  Please let me know!




No comments:

Post a Comment